The Burhill History
The Burhill Estate and the Golf Club itself have an intriguing history. Here are some key dates and facts:
1726 – The mansion was built as a private residence by Peter De La Porte, a wealthy London Thread Merchant.
1750 – Brigadier-General John Johnson inherited the house.
1841 – Grandson of the above Charles Kemeys-Tynte, MP for Bridgewater, Somerset, inherited the property from his father Lieutenant-Colonel John Kemeys-Tynte.
1851 – Francis Thomas Bircham, a Parliamentary lawyer acquired the property.
1861 – Fire destroyed the whole mansion, which was rebuilt the same year.
1885 – Sir Edward Cecil Guinness (the future 1st Earl of Iveagh) purchased the property from Samuel Bircham, son of Francis Bircham.
1905 – Burhill Estate was put up for auction without success and was withdrawn from the market.
1906 – The second Earl of Iveagh leased the mansion (and land for two 18 hole golf courses) to a syndicate of local business men.
1907 – Burhill Golf Club opened.
1940 – The Ministry of Aircraft Production requisitioned the Club, where Barnes Wallis created his famous ‘Bouncing Bomb’.
1947 – The Clubhouse was restored to the members.
1999 – Building of the New Course commenced. Work also began on the restoration of the mansion.
2001 – The New Course opened in May 2001, with the Clubhouse being officially re-opened by the 4th Earl of Iveagh on 3rd September.
Burhill Golf Club have put together a comprehensive history document for the Club. For further information about the history of Burhill Golf Club, click here>>