The mansion was built as a private residence by Peter De La Porte, a wealthy London Thread Merchant.
Brigadier-General John Johnson inherited the house.
Grandson of the above Charles Kemeys-Tynte, MP for Bridgewater, Somerset, inherited the property from his father Lieutenant-Colonel John Kemeys-Tynte.
Francis Thomas Bircham, a Parliamentary lawyer acquired the property.
Fire destroyed the whole mansion, which was rebuilt the same year.
Bircham granted a lease to Elizabeth Wellesley – Duchess of Wellington (who died in 1904).
Sir Edward Cecil Guinness (the future 1st Earl of Iveagh) purchased the property from Samuel Bircham, son of Francis Bircham.
Already settled at Elvedan Hall, Thetford and his son Rupert (future 2nd Earl of Iveagh) put the Burhill Estate up for auction (over 1,500 acres) without success and it was withdrawn from the market.
Rupert Guinness leased the mansion (and land for two 18 hole golf courses) to a syndicate of local businessmen.
Burhill Golf Club opened.
The Ministry of Aircraft Production requisitioned the Club for use of a workforce of 200, headed by Barnes Wallis, creator of the famous ‘Bouncing Bomb’ whilst working at Burhill.
The Clubhouse was restored to the members.
Building of the New Course commenced. Work also began on the restoration of the mansion.
The New Course opened in May 2001, with the Clubhouse being officially re-opened by the 4th Earl of Iveagh on 3rd September.
Burhill Golf Club celebrated its centenary.